The multiview light-sheet microscope
- Unique 4-axis concept
- 3D imaging of both large life specimens and cleared tissue
- Compact, vibration-free and robust design
- Resolution of close to 280 nm in 3D
- Browser-based user interface
The MuVi SPIM is a horizontal setup designed to image large volumes very fast. The unique 4-axis concept with its two-sided illumination allows four orthogonal views of the sample without the need for rotation.
Combined with the sample mount supported from below, this allows maximized acquisition speed and high precision of data fusion while preserving stability and integrity of the sample.
Typical applications of the microscope include in toto imaging of animal models such as Zebrafish embryos, Drosophila larvae, marine biology samples, plant and root development and even large cleared tissue samples.
3D imaging of both large life specimens and large cleared tissue, application-specific sample mounting and low phototoxicity make the MuVi SPIM stand out.
In addition, the setup can be equipped with a photomanipulation unit.
- Life sample chamber
- Water-sealed inert PEEK plastic chamber, autoclavable and biocompatible
- Sample supported from below for improved stability
- Easy access from above for sample mounting, injections, etc.
- Peltier-sealed water cooling and heating for precise temperature control (range 20–37°C)
- High-precision XYZ and fast rotation stage
- Cleared sample chamber
- Multi-immersion PEEK plastic chamber, autoclavable and biocompatible
- Highly flexible sample mounting from above
- Compatible with a broad range of clearing protocols
- Easy exchange of life and cleared sample chambers
- High-precision XYZ and fast rotation stage
- Photomanipulation unit
- Diffraction-limited focus
- Scanner-based spot positioning through one detection objective
- Full software control
- Various regions of interest
- Available lasers: pulsed IR, CW VIS, CW UV
The MuVi SPIM’s compact, vibration-free and robust design provides maximal stability during your long-term experiments.
Tailored to fit your lab bench, this class 1 laser system does not require any air table or vibration compensation mechanism as all moving components are light-weighted and balanced with the motor technology. Maximal stability of focus and thermal conditions are also guaranteed. The proprietary piezo crawler stages ensure longevity and precision for a permanently accurate specimen positioning. Neither the images nor the natural growth behaviour of your sample are affected by the gentle image recording.
360° Illumination and Detection
The MuVi SPIM can achieve a resolution of close to 280 nm in 3D, enabling life imaging, free of phototoxic effects.
The four objective lenses allow four combinations of illumination and detection. This provides four orthogonal views of the specimen without the need for sample rotation. This avoids shadowing effects and facilitates long-term imaging at dramatically increased acquisition speed.
The illumination optics comprise light-sheet generation by scanning a beam after passing a beam shaper unit for length and diameter adjustment. Two Nikon CFI Plan Fluor 10x W 0.3 NA water immersion objective lenses project two aligned light-sheets from opposing directions on the sample. The expandable and upgradable illumination setup allows a range of up to six lasers. The alignment-free light-source offers 40mW power output for each line.
The detection optics include two high numerical aperture Olympus 20x 1.0 NA or Nikon 16x 0.8 NA water immersion objective lenses.
|Illumination||Detection||Effective Magnification||Field of View||Pixel size||Optical Resolution|
|10x/0.3 NA||Olympus 20x/1.0 NA||
|10x/0.3 NA||Nikon 16x/0.8 NA||
The two spatial detection arms equipped with 10 position high-speed filter wheels combined with the two illumination arms enable simultaneous imaging of four orthogonal views. Multiple spectral channels can be acquired sequentially. The robust sCMOS Orca Flash 4.0 V3 cameras from Hamamatsu are well-suited for experiments that demand high detection, quantification and speed efficiency.
Compared to other techniques (e.g. confocal laser scanning and spinning disc microscopy) more time points can be acquired for a deeper insight into dynamic biological processes and fast movement tracking while avoiding photodamaging effects, the downside of increased illumination in those techniques.
- Laser combiner
- Maximum of 6 laser wavelengths (405*, 445, 488, 515, 532, 561, 594, 642, and 685 nm with 40 mW each before fiber)
- Fast modulation (MHz range) and high extinction ratio
- Illumination optics
- Chromatic correction from 440 to 660 nm
- Light-sheet generation by beam scanning
- Flexible light-sheet thickness (2 µm to 6 µm)
- 2 Nikon CFI Plan Fluor 10x W 0.3 NA water immersion objective lens
- 2 identical illumination arms
- Detection optics
- Two Olympus 20x 1.0 NA or two Nikon 16x 0.8 NA water immersion objective lens
- 2 identical detection arms, each equipped with a fast filter wheel (10 positions and 50 ms switching time between adjacent positions)
- Filters adapted to the selected laser lines
- 2 high-speed sCMOS cameras Hamamatsu Orca Flash 4.0 V3
- Maximum frame rate >80 fps at full frame (2048 × 2048 pixels of 6.5 µm × 6.5 µm size) and up to 500 fps at subframe cropping
- Peak quantum efficiency (QE): 82% @ 560nm
Electronics, microscope control and computer
LUXENDO's browser-based user interface offers a simple setup and execution of multidimensional experiments, while real-time control is handled by an embedded controller to ensure microsecond precision timing independent of the PC’s performance fluctuations.
Precise timing control of all connected devices is a prerequisite for reliable experimental outcomes. Full control of data streaming to storage as well as GPU-supported image processing further complements the overall performance.
- Electronics, microscope software & computer
- Embedded microscope software with an open communication interface: documented API, TCP/IP-based communication
- Browser-based GUI for interactive microscope control and experiment design
- Computer with 128 GB RAM, Intel dual 8 core CPU
- High-speed RAID controller for data streaming, 8 × 4 TB local storage in RAID O
- GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card
- 10 Gbit/s on-board Ethernet port
- 1 UHTV 40 inch display
You have questions regarding your microscopes functionality or you want to schedule a maintenance visit? Get in contact with LUXENDO’s support team. We will ensure to get the right person involved to answer your request.
Watch our webinars for a comprehensive explanation of our technology and its applications.
Get the documents you need with just a few mouse-clicks.